Translate

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The One Where Awards Are Given Out

Today our class attended the Award Ceremony for the 49th Annual Literary Contest of the English Department in our University. It was a very surreal experience for me considering I didn't even expect them to give my essay a second glance. Well apparently it warranted enough of a glance to award me an Honorable Mention in the Ceremony along with 2 other students in my class, one in my same category (essay) and another in Poetry. I was very surprised when I received the email last week about being a winner in the contest, though I am kind of  happy I brought my topic to light considering it's not that well known.

The Award Ceremony was very lively, there was no quiet moment. At the beginning wee were interrupted by Tuna from our University which was 20 different kinds of amazing. But my favorite part was the readings of the first place winners, seeing them display the fruits of their labors on stage was a special moment. The Poetry Winner was awesome and I agreed wholeheartedly with her poem. We women (and also men) are all too often told what we should and shouldn't do, and are forced to partake in hobbies in which we hold no real passion or wear stuff to appease other people. The Short Story entry was great too, the excerpt read gave me a curiosity to know more about the story and that is very important thing in creative writing, to be able to capture your audience with just one paragraph. More over, the Essay winner was beyond words, her take on words and their importance not just on paper but on how we define ourselves was incredibly moving and inspiring.

The most important thing I grasped from this experience was to not be ashamed of who we are and I saw that in the people that stood on that stage today. How they bared their hearts in their work and were not the least bit ashamed of it and stood proudly to receive their recognition.

 With this I leave you with a song once again to tell you to never be ashamed of who you are because there are people out there who love you just the way you are and its more important that YOU love yourself. 



3 comments:

  1. The voice in this blog was very informative offering insight on the event it was also very strong, personal and opinionated, which I enjoy. The point of view was first person and well executed. Again, the attitude towards the reader was to inform and express personal opinion. The level of abstraction/concreteness was leaning on both sides equally and language, diction and syntax we are good. Overall a nice blog summarizing the events of the 2016 49th literary English contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Describing your blogpost metaphorically it makes me think of an eagle who soars through the open blue sky and reaches new heights. An eagle who embraces bravery and stands up for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice post and I agree with all of it. Congrats on your honorable mention! It’s true what you say, we should not be ashamed of who we are but proud of what we accomplish. Many people are hard on themselves because they fail in some task, but they don’t recognize how by trying to do it they just achieve something special, like the hard work and effort they do with it. I don’t know, I guess it’s one of those opinions that came to my mind by reading your post. Love the tone, by the way.

    ReplyDelete